Last update of this page :
You are welcome in the lair of Chaos!
Welcome to the Dungeon Master© Java® [repository] site.
Dungeon Master is a computer role playing game developed by FTL --Faster Than Light-- (Software Heaven) that appeared first on the Atari ST in 1987, and revolutionized the genre as it was the first real time computer role playing game with a 3D view and mouse control. Today, it still has many fans around the globe; various projects involving a sequel or remake have been discussed!
And among thoses projects, one has finally seen the light of day: Dungeon Master Java was first released on February 27, 2001! A remake of the classic FTL game Dungeon Master, it is written entirely (as one could have guessed...) in Java and is designed to run as a stand-alone application rather than an applet in a web browser. It has high-resolution graphics that simulate a 3D environment. Gameplay is very similar to the original, with real-time action, 90-degree turns, and step-by-step movement. Most of the graphics are rendered in the free ray-tracer Pov-Ray. Item graphics and character portraits are done by hand with a paint program, though many are simply taken from the original and its sequels and touched-up.
As many fans around there dived into the joy of creation and
released fan's materials, like custom dungeons, graphics, or sound,
the need of a special place to gather them all became a priority.
That place was initially intended to be so; but various events lead to nearly a complete abandon. That created some confusion in the community newbies; and I must apologies for that...
After several months of inactivity, the website is finally moving again, and I corrected various mistakes and broken links.
Now, let's wait for fan's submitted stuff! :)
On this site, you will find:
- In the News section, you will find the latest news about he game, like the last update, patches, and release notes, etc.
- Download the Game is where (surprised?) you will find the game to download, the specifications and some screenshots. Please note that the game package includes a level editor, whose power is limitless!
- In Fan's Submissions section, you will find extras created by fans, including dungeons, monsters, character portraits, etc...
- The message board is where you can discuss the game.
- Finally, the Links section will give you some good points to start a journey in the world of DM.
So, I wish you a good visit and never forget that chaos is both victory and defeat! :)
> Omera, designer of the site.